Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Prolotherapy III

Okay, today was number three treatment. Taking the Lyrica prior to going was a great idea. The shots were much less painful during and after. My hip is responding so well that Dr. Haman was really happy about it and didn’t feel like I needed additional shots in the low back and sciatica area, but still needed some help in the front where the one was so loose that it was clicking every step. So I got one shot there. I did screw my courage to the sticking point and asked about my knees. He looked at my left and sighed. So, I got (I think because I was trying not to watch) 4 on the medial side, and I think two on the outer, not sure, might have been just one. He thinks the Prolotherapy can tighten up the medial tendon so that it will stop popping over to the inside. I can’t be more happy about my hip! Even though I over did it yesterday with the house cleaning, it still feels better than it has in a couple of years. Now I’m trying hard to contain my excitement about the knee! I’m supposed to wear braces on both knees, but I don’t, mainly because I’ve yet to find one that will actually stay up. The stupid things can’t be that helpful when they are constantly falling down around your ankles. So if the Prolo can tighten it up and make it stable enough that I could actually do more exercise, well, I don’ think I’d know what to do with myself!
So, next week, he’s going to check the one spot still on the hip and see if it needs another, and do the left knee again. Possibly add the right knee and the left shoulder. It was really very sore today still, from being popped out several times yesterday, so he left it alone. I kind of get the feeling that he thinks I’m something of an oddity. I’m actually very healthy and heal from the therapy very quickly, but I’m just falling apart at the joints. He seemed happy about the fact that I’ve lost 18 pounds and didn’t say much about the breast reduction surgery. If I can get my knees stabilized to where I can actually do some “real” exercise that would just be awesome. I know I’ll never be able to run again, like I used to, but I wouldn’t mind being able to take a walk, or a short hike on one of the many conservation tails around here. I really enjoy being outside, and really would like to do that again.
So, it’s only been a couple of hours since the shots, and I’m actually typing this on the laptop in the back seat of the truck while my wonderful TDH drives us home. I’m not supposed to drive myself because of the 20mg of Valium, even though I can’t say it really affects me that much. It is mellowing, but I don’t feel “high” or “loopy” or sleepy. Just mellow. I think I’m just so tickled about the Prolotherapy working for me that I’d be fairly mellow anyway!
Anyway… this next week is going to be a real bugger. Time for quarterly billing at work, and implementing a new program, and gearing up for me to be off for the two weeks after the breast reduction surgery…. Going to be working a LOT of extra hours. Is okay though, I like it. I’d rather be busy than bored. Since the boss man has forbidden me to do any work the first week and half I’m off after the surgery, I went book shopping yesterday. Terry Pratchett (the world greatest writer ever!!! At least in my opinion) has a new one coming out, but unfortunately it’s not out until Sept 30. BLAH! I did preorder it though, Amazon had it for $12 bucks on preorder, hard cover even… so I ended up at Barns and Nobel (we’ve not got any Mom and Pop book shops here in town so I’m stuck with the big box guys). I got a biography on Genghis Khan, a huge book on History’s most famous and infamous battles, and another one on the Roman Empire. I tried to find some good math books, but they were rather lacking in that department. Have to see if Mike’s got any he can loan me again. I rather liked the last one he loaned me. So that should keep my brain occupied for a bit, I hope. Two weeks is a long time for my brain to have nothing to do…. It doesn’t even like shutting down for a nights sleep!

No comments: