Monday, September 1, 2008

Tomorrow is Prolotherapy III and new medication

So, tomorrow is my next treatment. It was a week yesterday since my last go round and really, the difference is amazing. This time it didn’t take me near as long to recover from the shot’s themselves and the result with my hip is nothing short of wonderful, in my opinion at least. It is no longer dislocating with every single step! I’m still getting some of the “click-click” in the front part of the hip, which I want to discuss with Dr. Haman tomorrow. I’m also going to ask him about the possibility of doing my knees. They are the worst, and always have been. They both hyperextend to about 45 degrees and in the last few years the tendons and ligaments have become lax enough that they “pop” out to the inside (medial) and back in with a thud. This can happen while walking or if I’m just standing there, you can push lightly with one finger and it will pop out and back in with a definite thud. IF he thinks that Prolotherapy could tighten that up enough to make that quit happening, then I think I’m willing to face down my fear of needles to get it done. Having it done could quite possibly mean I could do things like walk for exercise and maybe even ride bikes again. That would just be amazing.
On another note, the plastic surgeon and I have been experimenting with new medications to help with after I have the breast reduction surgery. The first two were total flops, and I’ve added them to my print out of medications. The third one was Dilaudid. I’ve never had this one before, and she said it was twice as strong as Morphine. Given my prior experience with Morphine (it took the legal day dose limit to give me any relief) I wasn’t too excited about it. She asked me to try three doses and then let her know. Since I have a history of not reacting the second time the way I did the first time, which is why we settled on the three doses to test a medication. The first dose was a wild one. TDH and I had gone to the local car show, something we had been unable to do all summer because my hip was so bad I couldn’t do any walking. With the Prolotherapy, I felt like I could do it, maybe not as extensive as in the past, but a bit anyway. So we did, and by the time I got home I was a bit sore. Then I sat on the computer and paid bills for the month and that just really got it flared up. So I figured then would be a good time to try the first dose of Dilaudid. It did help the pain a little, but boy gees did it wire me up. I took it about 10pm and finally was able to go to bed at 6am. So I wasn’t all that impressed. BUT…. I agreed to try three doses. So the next afternoon I took it about 3 (just incase it did wire me up, but I didn’t figure it would). It didn’t wire me up, it didn’t make me very sleepy, nor did it make me loopy either. I had been warned that “loopy” was a good possibility, at least in “normal” people. What it DID do was just amazing. For about 8 straight hours I was, for the first time that I can remember, nearly pain free. It was so amazing I just crawled in bed about 6 and just laid there. Amazed at just being able to lay there, because usually I have to move every 15 to 20 minutes to keep from hurting so bad. I even let TDH give my shoulders, which are always in knots, a rub. Normally, that hurts so bad that I can’t stand to have them rubbed at all. Then I feel asleep and slept, get this… I slept in the SAME position ALL night long. I can’t even remember the last time that happened. Honestly. I’ve not had a night’s sleep like that since I don’t know when. I felt so good that today I cleaned house like I haven’t been able to forever. Even got down on my hands and knees and scrubbed the kitchen floor. And BOY did it need it! I’m paying for it, put my shoulder out three different times, and I think the last time I didn’t get it back in place quite right. The knees are sore, but I did use a kneeling pad so they could be worse I’m sure. The back is sore, as is the neck, but my house is CLEAN! Yippee! I really wanted that done before the surgery next week. Spring cleaning clean, you know? Now it’s just maintenance for a while.
Sept is pretty much going to suck for me, while I recover from the breast reduction. I’m still excited about it and looking forward to it. More than my surgeon is! The poor thing is a bit apprehensive about operating on an EDSer. I keep telling her it will be okay, but I don’t think it helps. Really, I’m kind of glad she’s like that, because that means she’ll be more careful and more watchful. She listens to me when I say things like “tape my feet together so my hips don’t dislocate while I’m under” and “if I do dislocate too badly for you to just pop back in, call Dr Turnbaugh to put it back”.
So, I’m off tomorrow for more Prolotherapy, and then back to work, trying to get quarterly bills out, so I might not have a chance to post my thoughts on the third treatment right away. We will see.
Good luck to everyone out there!

No comments: