Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The wide and weird world of disability fashions.

Hello all!  Today I’m going to do something I rarely do, and that is talk about clothes.  I’m not a fashionista by any stretch of the imagination, mainly because I just don’t care.  I prefer form and function, comfort and longevity, over in style and trendy.  That being said, one of the things that has absolutely driven me nuts since I first sat in the wheelchair is shirts.  Yes, shirts.  

You see, in a wheelchair your point of view changes. What was once a slight v-neck is now very cleavage revealing. You have to reach for everything, bending again and again at the waist. This often results in a ‘crack’ problem, as shirts are not long enough.  Throw in poorly made, thin, or delicate material and you have a problem. It is especially bad with office attire. Since I don’t work anymore, let’s focus on casual wear.

A few years ago, extra long tank tops came into fashion as layering pieces. I was ridiculously happy about this. Not because I layer, which I do but not for fashion reasons, but because they are actually long enough to keep my rear covered when bending and reaching. Only to a point, however. I soon discovered that they have a tendency to bunch up after repeated reaching. This left me doing the reach and pull the tank down routine, which is frustrating when doing something like grocery shopping. So I was off on a quest to find something that would work.

Here enters a commercial, seen while on vacation not long ago. The Duluth Trading Company was airing an ad for ‘extra-long t-shirts’ they called ‘Long Tail’ and ‘No-Yank’ tank tops.  I watched in fascination and pulled out the tablet to look them up immediately. They have them, and in my size.  Problem was, they were a bit pricey.  Now, here is a trick I’ve learned over the last few years. If this happens to you, create an account and put the item or items in your cart and then leave.  The company sees this and apparently it drives them nuts because before long I usually receive an email that makes it worth the extra wait.  In this case, it was only a couple of weeks before I received an email proclaiming the ‘Long Tail’ t-shirts were now only $10, and the ‘Women’s No-Yank tank were mix and match 3 for a lower price too. Top that off with a code for free shipping and I’m sold!  Yes, I know this is marketing by the company, but since it works in my favor, why not use it?
As of this date, May 20, 2014, they are still on sale.



So I ordered and waited, afraid to get my hopes up. I had read the rave reviews that said they were good quality, but you never know until you open the box.  They arrived in just a few days and I was impressed. They are made very well and with good quality. I wore one of the tanks  the next day and it was so nice! It really is a ‘no yank’ tank! It fit well, true to the size chart, which is always a perk. I wore one of the t-shirts the next day, while grocery shopping. I am in love.  I wish I could toss every t-shirt I own and replace them with these, you know, if money were no object.  Since money is an object, these will be treasured, only used for trips out in public. But, oh!, it is so nice to wear a well made, good quality t-shirt that actually fits and is long enough!

So, there it is, my contribution to the wide world of fashion, so to speak. I don’t think anyone in the industry really considers people with disabilities when they design clothes, which makes it extra special when you find something that works so well.

Thanks for reading, any thoughts, comments, suggestions, or contributions are welcome!

TH

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just saw the commercial for the tanks, I am beyond excited to get out to the store to try the built in bra tank on. I’ve read mixes review they have bad quality and the botttom seams start to come apart the first few washes. I noticed with my classic tanks with all the pulling down and tugging at them I have created holes in the material and they start to unravel due to the problems they have. I too hope I have found a winner in these T-shirt’s and tanks

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your perspectives.

Unknown said...

Great article. I like getting a new perspective and a good review. Thanks for tips.